Protective Structure Testing
A Roll-Over Protective Structure (ROPS) is a structure designed to be attached to, or form part of, a machine that meets an accepted standard developed to reduce the possibility of operator injury in the event of a vehicle roll-over. Established standards exist to define the load carrying characteristics of a ROPS under static loading and prescribe performance requirements for a representative specimen under such loading.
ROPS, FOPS, OPS, TOPS Testing Standards
WESTEST performs protective structure testing to meet requirements for: International Organization for Standardization (ISO), SAE International, Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS), and Mining Regulations in Canada.
ROPS (Roll-Over Protection Structures)
- ISO 3471:2008 ROPS for Earth-Moving Machinery: specifies performance requirements for metallic roll-over protective structures (ROPS) for earth-moving machinery, as well as a consistent and reproducible means of evaluating the compliance with these requirements by laboratory testing using static loading on a representative specimen.
- SAE J1194 ROPS for Wheeled Agricultural Tractors: fulfillment of the intended purpose requires testing as follows: A laboratory test, under repeatable and controlled loading, to permit analysis of the ROPS for compliance with the performance requirements of this SAE Standard.
- SAE J2194 ROPS for Wheeled Agricultural Tractors: any ROPS meeting the performance requirement of ISO 5700 (Static ROPS Test Standard) or ISO 3463 (Dynamic ROPS Test Standard) meets the performance requirements of this SAE Standard if the ROPS temperature/material and seat belt requirements are also met.
FOPS (Falling Object Protective Structures)
- ISO 3449:2005 FOPS for Earth-Moving Machinery: laboratory tests and performance requirements specifies laboratory tests for measuring the structural characteristics of, and gives performance requirements in a representative test for, falling-object protective structures (FOPS) intended for use on ride-on earth-moving machines as defined in ISO 6165. It is applicable to both FOPS supplied as an integral part of the machine and those supplied separately for attachment to the machine. It is not applicable to FOPS intended for use on landfill compactors, excavators, rollers, trenchers, pipelayers, for the additional seat for operation of an attachment (e.g. attachment backhoe), or on machines with a power rating of less than 15 kW.
ROPS, FOPS, OPS (Operator Protective Structures) & (TOPS) Tip-Over Protective Structures
- B352.0-09 (R2014): ROPS, FOPS, OPS, and TOPS for Mobile Machinery - General Canadian requirements
Don't see a Standards Test you require? We've done hundreds of tests for applications in mining, forestry, agriculture, and more. We are able to easily customize to accommodate a wide range of standards. Contact us for help.
With decades of experience in a multitude of industries, WESTEST delivers industry-recognized safety evaluations and testing for specialized safety installations that protect operators from specified hazards. WESTEST can also provide access to customized design and testing services for protective structures for almost any type of moving operator-driven machinery.